YOUTH WITH A MISSION INTERNATIONAL STATEMENT OF FAITH
Youth With A Mission (YWAM) is an international movement of Christians from many denominations dedicated to presenting Jesus personally to this generation, to mobilising as many as possible to help in this task, and to the training and equipping of believers for their part in fulfilling the Great Commission. As citizens of God's kingdom, we are called to love, worship, and obey our Lord, to love and serve His Body, the Church, and to present the whole gospel for the whole person throughout the whole world.
We of Youth With A Mission believe that the Bible is God's inspired and authoritative word, revealing that Jesus Christ is God's son; that people are created in God's image; that He created us to have eternal life through Jesus Christ; that although all people have sinned and come short of God's glory, God has made salvation possible through the death on the cross and resurrection of Jesus Christ; that repentance, faith, love and obedience are fitting responses to God's initiative of grace towards us; that God desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth; and that the Holy Spirit's power is demonstrated in and through us for the accomplishment of Christ's last commandment, "...Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature."
THE FOUNDATIONAL VALUES OF YOUTH WITH A MISSION (YWAM Foundational Values approved by the Global Leadership Team August 2003; released February 2004. Updated by the Global Leadership Forum December 2011.) NOTE: The four basic documents of Youth With A Mission are The Foundational Values of Youth With A Mission, The Manila Covenant, The Christian Magna Carta and The Nanning Covenant.)
Youth With A Mission (YWAM) affirms the Bible as the authoritative word of God and, with the Holy Spirit's inspiration, the absolute reference point for every aspect of life and ministry. Based upon God's word, who He is, and His initiative of salvation, the following responses are strongly emphasizes in YWAM:
Worship: We are called to praise and worship God alone
Holiness: We are called to lead holy and righteous lives that exemplify the nature and character of God
Witness: We are called to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with those who do not know Him
Prayer: We are called to engage in intercessory prayer for the people and causes on God's heart, including standing against evil in every form
Fellowship: We are called to commit to the Church in both its local nurturing expression and its mobile multiplying expression.
These Foundational Values of Youth With A Mission are the expression of our basic beliefs, coupled with specific directives given by God since YWAM's beginning in 1960. They are recorded here in order to pass on to successive generations that which God has emphasized to us. These shared beliefs and values are the guiding principles for both the past and future growth of our Mission. Some are common to all Christians everywhere; others are distinctive to Youth With A Mission. The combination of these beliefs and values make up the unique family characteristics of YWAM--our "DNA." They are values we hold in high regard which determine who we are, how we live and how we make decisions.
1. KNOW GOD YWAM is committed to know God, His nature, His character and His ways. We seek to reflect who He is in every aspect of our lives and ministry. The automatic overflow of knowing and enjoying fellowship with God is a desire to share Him with others.
(Numbers 23:19+20; Deuteronomy 32:3+4)
2. MAKE GOD KNOWN YWAM is called to make God known throughout the whole world, and into every arena of society through evangelism, training and mercy ministries. We believe that salvation of souls should result in transformation of societies thus obeying Jesus' command to make disciples of all nations.
(Acts 13:2+3; Genesis 12:1-3; Matthew 28:19+20; Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-18; 15:18-21)
3. HEAR GOD'S VOICE YWAM is committed to creating with God through listening to Him, praying His prayers and obeying His commands in matters great and small. We are dependent upon hearing His voice as individuals, together in team contexts and in larger corporate gatherings, as an integral part of our process for decision making.
(Isaiah 6:8; John 5:30; 10:1-4; 16:13; Acts 16:6-10)
4. PRACTICE WORSHIP & INTERCESSORY PRAYER YWAM is dedicated to worship Jesus and engage in intercessory prayer as integral aspects of daily life. We also recognize the intent of Satan to destroy the work of God and we call upon God's power and the Holy Spirit to overcome his strategies in the lives of individuals and in the affairs of nations.
(Ephesians 5:19+20; 6:10-18; 1. Thessalonians 5:16-18; Psalm 32:8; 100; 150; John 17:15-21; Mark 11:24; Acts 1:14; Colossians 4:2+3; 1. Timothy 2:1; 2. Corinthians 10:3-6; James 4:7; Matthew 12:23-29)
5. BE VISIONARY YWAM is called to be visionary, continually receiving, nurturing and releasing fresh vision from God. We support the pioneering of new ministries and methods, always willing to be radical in order to be relevant to every generation, people group, and sphere of society. We believe that the apostolic call of YWAM requires the integration of spiritual eldership, freedom in the Spirit and relationship, centered on the Word of God.
(Isaiah 42:8+9; John 4:35; Matthew 10:1-10; Hebrews 11:1-3; Proverbs 29:18; Habakkuk 2:2)
6. CHAMPION YOUNG PEOPLE YWAM is called to champion youth. We believe God has gifted and called young people to spearhead vision and ministry. We are committed to value, trust, train, support, make space and release them. They are not only the Church of the future; they are the Church of today. We commit to follow where they lead, in the will of God.
(Joel 2:28; Acts 2:17; 1. Timothy 4:12; 1. Samuel 2:18+19; 17:33-37; Daniel 1:4+8+9; Jeremiah 1:5-10) 7. BE BROAD-STRUCTURED AND DECENTRALIZED YWAM is broad-structured and diverse, yet integrated. We are a global family of ministries held together by shared purpose, vision, values and relationship. We believe that structures should serve the people and the purposes of God. Every ministry at every level has the privilege and responsibility of accountability to a circle of elders, with overall international accountability to the YWAM Global Leadership Team.
8. BE INTERNATIONAL AND INTERDENOMINATIONAL YWAM is international and interdenominational in its global scope as well as its local constituency. We believe that ethnic, linguistic and denominational diversity, along with redeemed aspects of culture, are positive factors that contribute to the health and growth of the Mission.
(Matthew 24:14; Ephesians 4:1-16; Revelation 7:9)
9. HAVE A BIBLICAL WORLDVIEW YWAM is called to a Biblical worldview. We believe that the Bible makes a clear division between good and evil; right and wrong. The practical dimensions of life are no less spiritual than the ministry expressions. Everything done in obedience to God is spiritual. We seek to honor God with all that we do, equipping and mobilizing men and women of God to take roles of service and influence in every arena of society.
(Hebrews 4:12; 2. Timothy 3:16; 2:15; John 3:31+32)
10. FUNCTION IN TEAMS YWAM is called to function in teams in all aspects of ministry and leadership. We believe that a combination of complementary gifts, callings, perspectives, ministries and generations working together in unity at all levels of our Mission provides wisdom and safety. Seeking God's will and making decisions in a team context allows accountability and contributes to greater relationship, motivation, responsibility and ownership of the vision.
11. EXHIBIT SERVANT LEADERSHIP YWAM is called to servant leadership as a lifestyle, rather than a leadership hierarchy. A servant leader is one who honors the gifts and callings of those under his/her care and guards their rights and privileges. Just as Jesus served His disciples, we stress the importance of those with leadership responsibilities serving those whom they lead.
(Luke 17:7-10; John 13:12-17; Mark 10:42-45)
12. DO FIRST, THEN TEACH YWAM is committed to doing first, then teaching. We believe that firsthand experience gives authority to our words . Godly character and a call from God are more important than an individuals gifts, abilities and expertise.
13. BE RELATIONSHIP-ORIENTED YWAM is dedicated to being relationship-oriented in our living and working together. We desire to be united through lives of holiness, mutual support, transparency, humility, and open communication, rather than a dependence on structures or rules.
(1. John 1:7; Galatians 5:1)
14. VALUE THE INDIVIDUAL YWAM is called to value each individual. We believe in equal opportunity and justice for all. Created in the image of God, people of all nationalities, ages and functions have distinctive contributions and callings. We are committed to honoring God-given leadership and ministry gifts in both men and women.
15. VALUE FAMILIES YWAM affirms the importance of families serving God together in missions, not just the father and/or mother. We encourage the development of strong and healthy family units, with each member sharing the call to missions and contributing their gifts in unique and complementary ways.
16. PRACTICE DEPENDENCE ON GOD FOR FINANCES YWAM is called to practice a life of dependence upon God for financial provision. For individuals and YWAM corporately this comes primarily through His people. As God and others have been generous towards us, so we desire to be generous. YWAMers give themselves, their time and talents to God through the mission with no expectations of remuneration.
(Philippians 4:6+7+10-20; 3. John 5-8; Romans 12:8-13; 1. Timothy 5:17; 6:18; Luke 6:38; Acts 20:35; Psalm 112:5)
17. PRACTICE HOSPITALITY YWAM affirms the ministry of hospitality as an expression of God's character and the value of people. We believe it is important to open our hearts, homes, campuses and bases to serve and honor one another, our guests and the poor and needy, not as acts of social protocol, but as expressions of generosity.
(3. John 8; Hebrews 13:2; 1. Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:8; Romans 12:13; 1. Peter 4:9)
18. COMMUNICATE WITH INTEGRITY YWAM affirms that everything exists because God communicates. Therefore, YWAM is committed to truthful, accurate, timely and relevant communication. We believe good communication is essential for strong relationships, healthy families and communities, and effective ministry.
Youth With A Mission- Myrtle Beach 306 2nd Avenue N. Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 843-712-2323